Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban Text to Speech

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 20:52:06 -0500

la tinkit. cusku di'e
> > Could you paste a URL to the samples you're discussing? All I found was
> > http://jcrossco.home.mindspring.com/dialog8k.wav, which is a computer
> > croaking out unintelligible noises that I assume is Lojban. Speech synth
> > has a way to go yet!
> 
> 
> 
> Perhaps I should clarify my implicit question: did you think that, because
> he is from the South, that he crafted the computerized lojban sample with
> a Southern accent?

I believe the dialog8k.wav you've discovered is the file to which I'm
referring. Yes, I'll agree that it could stand some improvement, but I'm
impressed with its intelligibility at this early stage. Even with my
(extremely limited) lojban vocabulary, I was able to pick out parts of what
it was saying.

With regards to the accent, the methods that had been previously discussed
required that someone record their lojban speech in order for the TTS
software to imitate them. My assumption is that the TTS software in this
case is constructing the speech from a sequence of sound bytes that someone
recorded. It appears that the person who recorded these snippets had a
notable southern accent. While this in no way diminishes the
accomplishment, I did find it amusing.

mu'omi'e djan