Subject: Re: [lojban] Lojban Text to Speech

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:05:00 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Pierre Abbat wrote:

> On Thursday 03 January 2002 20:52, [email-masked] wrote:
> > I believe the dialog8k.wav you've discovered is the file to which I'm
> > referring. Yes, I'll agree that it could stand some improvement, but I'm
> > impressed with its intelligibility at this early stage. Even with my
> > (extremely limited) lojban vocabulary, I was able to pick out parts of what
> > it was saying.
>
> I downloaded the file and attempted to play it, but got only hisses and
> twitters. The command I used is:
> sox -t wav dialog8k.wav -t au -r 44100 /dev/audio
> and several variations. What command should I use?

The type of Linux and FreeBSD's /dev/audio isn't 'au', but instead
'ossdsp'. SunOS and NetBSD's type is 'sunau'. You can then leave off the
-r, as it will be able to issue the IOCTL to the audio device indicating
the appropriate sampling rate.

Convinently, sox usually comes with a script called "play" which does
exactly what it sounds like. :)

(FWIW, I believe the audio device defaults to a sampling rate of 8kHz, so
if you'd done -r 8000 it would've come out a bit closer to right. :)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose