Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Lojban Text to Speech

From: "randl. nortmn." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:03:26 -0500

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 12:14:35AM -0700, Jay Kominek wrote:
> 
> On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, buzzwyrd wrote:
> 
> > I originally synthesized at 16 khz, but it occurred to me that a lot
> > of people might have modem dialup connections, so I decimated it to 8k
> > to cut the file size in half.
> 
> Considered MP3 encoding?
[...]

Better yet, Ogg Vorbis. (http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html)
Better sound at the same or lower bitrates, and doesn't use any
proprietary/patented algorithms, so the encoder is free.

I will perform Ogg encoding for anybody that's interested. Of course,
installing an encoder yourself is pretty easy. Encoders and players
are available for Unix, Windows, Mac, and BeOS, including plug-ins for
most popular MP3 players (XMMS, WinAMP, etc.).

mu'omi'e randl.