Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Lojban Text to Speech

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 11:36:02 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Candide Kemmler wrote:

> > The Lojban 'r' is allowed to be pronounced in just about any way,
> > including the standard American untrilled 'r'. I happen to think that
> > Lojban sounds best with an Irish sort of 'r', but that could just be
> > because I love listening to Irish accents. ;-) I would advise
> > against the French "r", as that seems indistinguishable from "xr", at
> > least to my ear.
>
> Yes, I personnally cannot pronunciate "r"'s like the Italians do
> (trilled ?). And I don't know about the Irish "r". Perhaps the best
> consensus is the American "r"...

Oh heavens no, the American "r" is a vowel treated as a consonant and I
don't care what anyone says. It is implied by context more often than not,
replaces other vowels at times (better --> betr even in the UK), and gets
elided in several common dialects. Everyone has such difficult time
understanding spoken Lojban that we need everything to be as clear &
distinct as possible, and that includes trilled "r"s.

I think an Irish "r" is lightly trilled.

-- 
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.
The path that can be specified
is not the Full Path.