Subject: [lojban] Re: Lojban Text to Speech

From: Arnt Richard Johansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:32:09 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Candide Kemmler wrote:

> > The Lojban 'r' is allowed to be pronounced in just about any way,
> > including the standard American untrilled 'r'. I happen to think that
> > Lojban sounds best with an Irish sort of 'r', but that could just be
> > because I love listening to Irish accents. ;-) I would advise
> > against the French "r", as that seems indistinguishable from "xr", at
> > least to my ear.
>
> Yes, I personnally cannot pronunciate "r"'s like the Italians do
> (trilled ?). And I don't know about the Irish "r". Perhaps the best
> consensus is the American "r"...

Just to clear things up.

The official Lojban R is the alveolar approximant, SAMPA [\r], which is
used in among others US English, UK English, and Swedish.

It is also possible to pronounce R as an alveolar trill, SAMPA [r], as in
Spanish.

The preferred pronunciation, however, seems to be the apico-alveolar tap,
"fish-hook r", as in Spanish, some dialects of Japanese, and some dialects
of Norwegian.

Compare with the sound samples linked at
http://nuzban.wiw.org/wiki/index.php?Multimedia, and the sound samples at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lojban/files/Sound%20samples/

-- 
mu'o mi'e tsali