Subject: Re: [lojban] crdlus. critique

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 00:21:13

la rob cusku di'e

> Computer: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHICH PYRAMID YOU MEAN.
> la skami: .i mi na'e jimpe ledu'u makau poi jipkubli ku'o du lesego'i
>
>I believe the English "I don't understand which one you mean" is
>idiomatic. The computer understands the situation, but it doesn't know
>which block is referred to, so I'd use {djuno} instead of {jimpe}.

Also, I'm not sure the use of {du} there is quite right. The
computer should know that {ro da du da}. The question it should
ask is not {ma du le se go'i} but rather {le ki'a se go'i}.
"Which?" is difficult in Lojban.

> Person: WHAT IS THE PYRAMID SUPPORTED BY?
> la prenu: .i le jipkubli se sarji ma
>
>Strictly a grammatical issue: {.i le jipkubli cu se sarji ma}

Why not just {i ma sarji le jipkubli}? Or, if keeping English
word order is important, {i ma le jipkubli cu sarji}?

> Person: STACK UP TWO PYRAMIDS.
> la prenu: .i ko poidregau lei re jipkubli
>
>{lei} isn't necessary - the person doesn't care which ones, and the
>computer doesn't care whether they should be considered a mass.

Hmm... (it should be {poirdregau} or else it means {poi dregau})...
But {ko poirdregau re jipkubli} means that for exactly two pyramids,
you should stack each of them. You do want to do something to them
together as a mass, not to each of them separately. However, {lei}
doesn't work because the speaker doesn't have two particular pyramids
in mind. So maybe {lu'o re jipkubli}.

> Computer: WHILE I WAS STACKING UP THE RED CUBE, A LARGE RED BLOCK AND A
> LARGE GREEN CUBE.
> la skami: .i ca lenu mi poidregau nu'i le xunre kurkubli lo barda xunre
> bo bliku lo barda crino bo kurkubli

I'm not sure what the place structure of poirdregau is supposed
to be, but here {le xunre kurkubli}, {lo barda xunre bo bliku}
and {lo barda crino bo kurkubli} are each in a different place,
and it is not clear what the {nu'i} is for.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com