Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: cmavo index?

From: "randl. nortmn." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 21:53:47 -0500

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 05:19:40PM -0700, Jay Kominek wrote:
[...]
> Who is going to write the examples to be reviewed, though?

They would, for the most part, be directly pulled from mailing list
posts, IRC chats, and possibly other Lojban electronic texts (e.g. the
reference grammar, the translations in www.lojban.org/files/texts,
etc.). Not all these sources are to be trusted, obviously, hence the
need for review to ensure that they are good usage examples.

I think this could be a good tool not only for people trying to learn
the langauge, but for analysis of its real-world usage. For this
purpose the errors are as relevant as the correct usages. With such a
database, we could compare IRC chat usage to mailing list usage to the
translations. We could see how often certain words/constructs are
used and misused. Over time, we could track linguistic drift.

I recognize that there is substantial complexity in this proposal.
For that matter, I didn't really intend to make it a proposal; I
simply mentioned that I had thought about it. I myself do not have
the time to put any work into it right now, but maybe down the road.

mu'omi'e randl.