Subject: [campa'avlas] Call for materials

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 22:12:21 -0700 (MST)

I've settled on my final design for the first issue of campa'avlas, a
miniliterary journal/newsletter publication, which I intend to fund the
printing of for an issue or three. (Hopefully at that point I'll be able
to take subscriptions)

I am looking for the following material:

* Editorials in or about Lojban. Short and sweet! (150-300 words)
* Poetry in Lojban, preferably in forms which are relatively unique to
Lojban. Attitudinal poetry, etc. No epic ballads, please.
* Short stories in Lojban (500-2000 words)
** Translations are acceptable, if you can make an argument as to some
novel usage of Lojban in your text. (Translations have lower preference
than original works, but I seriously doubt it will come down to that.)
* News about Lojban, in English (100-200 words)
** I'll probably fill this with catchup stuff to cover the gap between the
last ju'i lobypli and now, since, presumably there are people who havn't
been in contact with the Lojban community since then, right?
* Puzzles in Lojban. (The definition of "puzzle" is quite loose. I've
allocated about 75% of a page for community contributed puzzles (I made
one myself), they can include diagrams, pictures or whatever.)
* Artwork related to Lojban is acceptable, preferably in connection with a
short story.

(The above counts are English word counts. Lojban would have a higher word
count due to cmavo. Don't worry.)

Preferably, everything will be previously unreleased. However, if material
doesn't come pouring in, I'll take what I can get. (If you don't contribute,
I'll have to fill the whole thing up myself, and that wouldn't be good! :)

The main editorial requirement (beyond the piece being of about the right
length), is that everything conform to the official grammar. As campa'avlas
is intended to disseminate creative works, I won't be too strict about the
semantics. Consider, though, that print is a one-way medium, so you won't
have a chance to explain nonce lujvo, etc. ('cei' is your friend.)

Contributors retain all rights to their works, and merely grant me
permission for electronic and print redistribution. It is assumed that
contributors will be kind enough to delay wide distribution of contributed
works until after campa'avlas has had time to circulate, or else there
won't be much reason for people to subscribe.

I'll continue to accept materials for this and following issues until it
becomes clear that noone is going to contribute, or that noone is
interested in subscribing.
(When I talk about subscriptions, don't worry, I'm only interested in
breaking even, and maybe rewarding contributors.)

The whole point of this, by the way, is to reach the teeming throngs of
offline Lojbanists whose existance has been repeatedly asserted, but not
demonstrated. (So no, it isn't appropriate to do this as a web page.)

Just FYI, I'm aiming at 12 pages, saddle stiched, black and white. I hope
to up the page count, and add a color later. 2 pages are already used up,
1 with mailing/subscription/etc information (backpage), and the front page
with introductary stuff. In the remaining 10 pages I've only got a few
hundred words of my own material, ignoring section bannerheads. The first
page will open up after the first issue to a wider range of material,
assuming there is a second issue.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose