Subject: Re: [lojban] New file uploaded to lojban

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 05:02:14 -0500

At 12:21 AM 1/7/02 -0500, Rob Speer wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 11:29:15PM -0500, Craig wrote:
> > >Many of these can't even appear without pauses, like "f-ui" or "ai-oi".
> >
> > la .naioin. would be a valid cmene, as would la fuin., so yes, they can
> > appear without pauses.
>
>All right, but these are not exactly common Lojban words.
>
>In most text-to-speech programs, you're lucky if it can pronounce your
>name at all. Here, if we treat these as series of diphones, it may sound
>a bit labored when the computer says it but it will at least be correct
>pronunciation. {fuin} would be (f-u) (u-i) (i-n). {naioin} would be
>(n-a) (a-i) (i-o) (o-i) (i-n) - imagine the cmavo 'ai', 'io', and 'oi'
>being flowed together. I think this is an acceptable tradeoff to make in
>order to cut the number of speech samples required in about half.

I would not try to treat ai as a-i. Vowel length is significant, and this 
was evident even in the primitive Radio Shack TTS box that Nora worked with 
in the 80s. The Lojban diphthongs are not the same as the component sounds 
for TTS purposes.

naioin should be n-ai ai,oi oi-n because of the default rule of pairing 
vowels from the left and inserting implied close-commas for syllabification.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org