Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Lojban Text to Speech

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:19:52 -0500

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 13:23, Jim Carter wrote:
> On "x", if you can spit you can speak Russian :-) In middle school we
> referred to "hawking a luker".

Huh?

> I seem to be one of the r-handicapped population. In French class I spent
> a week trying to get my r's to trill, but never got a trace of oscillation
> out of my tongue. But I was praised for the consistency of my xr's.
>
> My understanding of the standards is that the trill is optional. Perhaps
> the right way to put it is, if you can trill, do it, but if not, don't feel
> guilty.

I trill most 'r's, but some syllabic 'r's I don't. For instance, the 'r' in 
{fiprmako} I pronounce as either a voiceless trill or a retroflex vowel 
(which is not how I pronounce 'r' in English; my English 'r' is made by 
bunching the tongue at the back of the mouth). The 'i' I pronounce as in 
"ship" (it can be anywhere from "ship" to "preen" depending on the 
consonants).

phma