Subject: Re: [lojban] po'u considered harmful

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:45:10 EST

In a message dated 1/14/2002 5:08:20 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> >mi me le ci nolraitru = I am Caspar, Melchior, or Balthazar.
> >mi du le ci nolraitru = We are Caspar, Melchior, and Balthazar.
> 
> Surely there are other kingly trios.
> 

Yes, but {le} means that the speaker gets to pick which one -- and this seems 
to be the likely one at this time (within the octave of Epiphany). And can 
you think of another kingly trio off hand?

<>> poi du as meaning that po'u means poi du.

>That means that it is semantically (but not syntactically)
>interchangeable.

This is a little bit of a strange statement for you to be making, seeing as
you are the one who doesn't clarify po'u except to say 'note that it means
poi du' and state its selma'o (unless this oversight was fixed in the print
version).>

"Means the same as" doesn't mean "behaves the same as" -- as the selma'o 
clearly shows. What more should have been said?