Subject: umlauts (was: Re: timezones for talking and speling (was Re: [lojban] on the fone?))

From: Björn Gohla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:32:46 +0100

On Thursday 17 January 2002 15:34, Invent Yourself wrote:
> Macintoshes have always made it very easy to enter umlauts. It is very
> hard to find a font that lacks the characters, and all applications
> observe the same, standard key combinations for entering them. On Windows
> and Linux, I have never been able to get anything but 7 bit characters off
> the keyboard, and I'm sure every app has its own keyboard shortcuts for
> them, as they reinvent their own shortcuts for everything else.
well, using x window it is easy to type characters that are not on your 
keyboeard. kcharselect for instance lets you select any letter in a font and 
copy it to any x client via the clipboard. the bare console probably is 
another matter. however being a unix user in germany i put together my own x 
keymap that is mostly the us keymap but has umlauts on otherwise unused keys.
- -- 
- --------------------
It said "Windows 95 or better", so I installed Linux.
pub 1024D/834F4976 2001-01-07 Björn Gohla (Wissenschaftler, Weltbürger) 
<[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 9FF4 FEDA CCDF DA0E 14D5 8129 6C14 3C39 834F 4976
sub 1024g/29571FE2 2001-01-07