Subject: Re: lojban as a programming language [was Re: [lojban] Lojban for lay programmers]

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:44:28

Lee Daniel Crocker:
>Sure, one could probably stretch lojban into "artistic" uses, but
>doing so would produce bad art and risk weakening the language for
>its designed use: clarity. Lojban should be "sold" for doing things
>like writing international contracts, technical specs, laws,
>computer programs, and other things for which ambiguity and cultural
>assumptions are bad.

If anyone tried to sell it to me for any of that stuff I wouldn't
buy it. And so far at least, it has not been used for any of that,
nor even shown to be particularly useful for any of that. On the
other hand, it has been used for artistic expression, the quality
of which everyone can judge by themselves, of course.

>Literature and art thrive on cultural
>assumptions and ambiguity and arbitrary constraints and all those
>things we've tried to remove from lojban.

One of the most attractive things about Lojban is that to some
extent we are creating a culture along with the language.

>Novels should be in English. Opera should be in Italian.
>Treaties should be in Lojban.

English was designed for novels?!

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com