Subject: Re: [lojban] Bible translation style question

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:36:24 -0500

On Sunday 27 January 2002 20:54, And Rosta wrote:

> I think that by encouraging the development of a normative style you
> are inhibiting future generations of Lojban users from making full use
> of Lojban's resources. 

I don't think so. This is just a normative style (which can be bent, as I 
already have, and I noticed another place where I forgot to bend it) for 
prose narrative. The style of complex Levitical rules will be quite 
different, as are the styles of various kinds of poetry. Currently the 
contrast between my style and Mark's in the first three chapters of Genesis 
is jarring.

> In addition, any normative style is going to
> be strongly SAE-influenced at this stage, which is to'e lojbo.

Here are a couple of sentences in my style. Do they sound SAE?

gambire ji'i civo da
(from a page which I'm planning to add to the Wiki; prose, but not narrative)
jipyda'iga'a fi ko le bitmu le vorme
(perhaps this will be in a battle story; so far it's the only sentence of it)

phma