Subject: Free Software (or Open Source) (was Re: [lojban] Perl "drill" program...)

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 00:25:51 -0800

On Thursday 24 January 2002 06:05 am, Deven T. Corzine wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, John Cowan wrote:
> > Deven T. Corzine wrote:
> > > Okay, I realize I'm responding to a year-old message here. 
> > > That shows how much time I find to keep up with this mailing
> > > list, much less study Lojban!
> >
> > In Lojban, no thread is ever truly dead.

Yes, I intend to bring up the anti-ka thread again from, I think, 
four years ago as soon as I find out what the refgrammar has to say 
on the various components of the subject. I got my copy just a few 
weeks ago, and have been plowing steadily through it.

> Is that good or bad? :-)

It's vital.

> > > It wasn't a perfect program, and I never released it, but it
> > > worked very effectively for me...
> >
> > Sounds interesting. Please do release it with an Open Source
> > license; http://www.opensource.org/licenses

Better, yet, register it as a project at SourceForge, 
http://sourceforge.net, and let other people hack on it. I could do 
with a version that understood Unicode, for my daughter who is 
studying Japanese, and for other uses.

> I'm not sure it's in a form suitable for release at the moment --
> maybe I should clean it up a bit first. I'll have to take a look
> at it. (Don't let me forget!)
>
> Assuming I release it (and I probably will), I would use an Open
> Source license for it, though I don't know offhand which one...
>
> Deven

I won't argue the merits of Free Software vs. Open Source vs. BSD 
etc. licensing here. There are plenty of other places to do it. :-)
-- 

Edward Cherlin
[email-masked]
Does your Web site work?