Subject: Re: [lojban] Bible translation style question

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:34:32 +0000

Pierre:
#On Sunday 27 January 2002 20:54, And Rosta wrote:
#> I think that by encouraging the development of a normative style you
#> are inhibiting future generations of Lojban users from making full use
#> of Lojban's resources. 
#
#I don't think so. This is just a normative style (which can be bent, as I 
#already have, and I noticed another place where I forgot to bend it) for 
#prose narrative. The style of complex Levitical rules will be quite 
#different, as are the styles of various kinds of poetry. Currently the 
#contrast between my style and Mark's in the first three chapters of Genesis 
#is jarring.

Your original message made it seem (to me at least) that you were 
asking not so much how best to stylistically render Old Testament
texts or how to resolve clashes between styles of collaborating
translators, but about style in general -- e.g. use of multiple FA within
a single bridi. My response pertained only to matters of style in general.

#> In addition, any normative style is going to
#> be strongly SAE-influenced at this stage, which is to'e lojbo.
#
#Here are a couple of sentences in my style. Do they sound SAE?
#
#gambire ji'i civo da
#(from a page which I'm planning to add to the Wiki; prose, but not 
#narrative) 
#jipyda'iga'a fi ko le bitmu le vorme
#(perhaps this will be in a battle story; so far it's the only sentence of it)

no, they don't

--And.