Subject: Re: [lojban] Bible translation style question

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:32:20 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, And Rosta wrote:

> That was my point. My concern is that where Lojban offers multiple ways
> to say the same thing, and some ways are more SAE-like than others,
> we have a natural tendency to go for the more SAE-like way -- it certainly facilitates
> communication. I just think that this natural tendency should not be elevated to the status
> of normative good style.

Can't we actively notice these behaviors and work against them? That is
what Pierre was doing, in trying to move away from using SE and FA to
simulate Englishistic word ordering.

By the way, concerning your example, I don't know why Jay said he was
kidding. We use "le broda cu brode" because it has the fewest syllables.
The language should make the easiest choice a non-SAE one,; then we'll see
if people follow the natural rhythm of the language, or struggle to
clumsily maintain SAE. Oh that's right: that's the case currently with SE
and FA, isn't it?

In your example the only version with the same count is "da broda je
brode"; did you not think of it because you too are soaking in SAE?

And if the facilitation of communication conflicts with the Lojbanistic
avoidance (or drift) from SAE, then dumbing down the discourse to improve
communication should be avoided, and readers and listeners should be
exercised.

-- 
The tao that can be tar(1)ed
is not the entire Tao.
The path that can be specified
is not the Full Path.