Subject: Re: lojban as a programming language [was Re: [lojban] Lojban for lay programmers]

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:26:07

Lee Daniel Crocker:
>And I don't know whether or not Lojban will ever become a full-
>fledge "human language". I hope so, but I fear that the fact that
>it was designed utterly without regard to the hard-wired language
>processing features of the human brain might make that difficult.

It wasn't designed with any specific regard to such features,
but it is based pretty closely on existing languages, so it
is not clear that that would be a problem.

>I'm not saying that was a bad decision: indeed, that's one of the
>very purposes for which it was created: to see if it could help
>discover such features. But cognitive science beat us to the
>punch, and there is now no serious doubt that such features are
>present, so Lojban's deviance from them is a problem for getting
>it accepted as a common-use language.

Is there any obvious deviation in Lojban from what is required
for a common-use language?

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com