Subject: Re: [lojban] Bible translation style question

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:38:22 +0200

la .and cusku di'e

> Where I do see a SAE bias is, say, in the choice among the
following:
>
> 1. lo broda cu brode
> 2. da broda gi'e brode
> 3. da ge broda gi brode
>
> These are equivalent, but the first is the most favoured and the
last the
> least. Why is that? Because the languages we are familiar with tend
> to prefer to subordinate into NPs (by shifting "broda" into a sumti)
rather
> than coordinate or similar. And likewise, we are relatively unused
to forethought connectives.

Also, 1 is a statement about a broda, whereas 2 and 3 are two
statements about something, so they may be relevant in different
circumstances. Maybe thinking about brodas instead of da's is a SAE
bias.

mu'o mi'e .adam.