Subject: Re: UI for 'possible' (was: Re: [lojban] Bible translation stylequestion)

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 02:27:19 +0200

la xod. cusku di'e

> > I have used 'la'acu'i' a couple of times, I think. If the only
> > difference between 'ju'o' and 'la'a' is the degree of certainty,
then
> > the mid-points would be the same, I guess.
>
>
>
> I interpret la'a to mean (subjective) statistical probability, and
ju'o
> for the strength of my conviction, hence they are orthogonal. I'd
give
> examples but I forget the scales of la'a.

I can see what the distinction might be, but I wonder if there is one
in practice. Is there any sentence 'broda' such that it would be
reasonable for someone to say '.i la'a broda .i ku'i ju'onaicai broda'

Anything like 'ju'ocu'i' instead of 'cumki' is assuming that 'cumki'
really does indicate only a middle value on a scale of
certainty/probability. A different meaning of 'cumki' doesn't limit
the degree of certainty/probability. If something is certain, it's
also possible.

mu'o mi'e .adam.