Subject: Re: UI for 'possible' (was: Re: [lojban] Bible translation style question)

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:07:05 +0000

Xod:
#On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, And Rosta wrote:
#> Indeed not. 'ui' is an expression of emotion; an uttered smile. 'Sei
#> gleki' is a metalinguistic comment that is propositional in nature but
#> does not contribute to the truth conditions of the sentence.
#
#And ui, while not propositional (because the definition of "propositional"
#used on this list is completely arbitrary), 

AFAIK the definition used on this list is the usual one = "has a truth value".

#doesn't necessarily affect the truth value. 

The prototypical UI doesn't affect it at all, though of course the selmaho
includes some that do affect truth values.

#And, to utter "sei gleki" is an expression of an emotional state.

Assuming that like me you are maintaining a terminological distinction 
between "expression" and "description", then "sei gleki" describes a 
state of happiness but does not intrinsically express a state of happiness;
"ui" is the exact opposite.

--And.