Subject: Truth Value of UI (was: Re: UI for 'possible' (was: Re: [lojban] Bibletranslation style question)

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:55:17 +0000

Xod:
*****************************
> #On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, And Rosta wrote:
> #> Indeed not. 'ui' is an expression of emotion; an uttered smile. 'Sei
> #> gleki' is a metalinguistic comment that is propositional in nature but
> #> does not contribute to the truth conditions of the sentence.
> #
> #And ui, while not propositional (because the definition of "propositional"
> #used on this list is completely arbitrary),
>
> AFAIK the definition used on this list is the usual one = "has a truth value".

I have argued that ".ui" has a truth value. It is "true" when the speaker
is actually happy. All utterances have truth value, even "ouch!".
*******************************************

Your contention is incorrect. The difference between "ui" and "mi gleki"
is precisely that only the latter has a truth value.

#> #And, to utter "sei gleki" is an expression of an emotional state.
#>
#> Assuming that like me you are maintaining a terminological distinction
#> between "expression" and "description", then "sei gleki" describes a
#> state of happiness but does not intrinsically express a state of happiness;
#> "ui" is the exact opposite.
#
#Differentiation between "expression" and "description" is approaching the
#"planck-length" of meaning; in other words, the point at which discussion
#is pointless.
#
#Typically "description" refers to objective (external) phenomena, whereas
#"expression" typically refers to internal, subjective experiences.
#
#In this case I am afraid I don't see a difference. When someone is happy,
#they say ".ui", or "mi gleki" as they please. Both indicate to listeners
#that the speaker is happy.

As does a smile, as does a satisfied sigh.

Sorry -- I must be off now.

--And.