Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:00:29 EST

In a message dated 2/11/2002 9:56:11 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Okay. Irrespective of how you intepret {finpe je mirli}:
> 
It is true exactly of things that are simultaneously both fish and deer, the 
intersection of the two sets (null in this world and, I suspect, most 
others). The herd of fish and deer together, the union of the two sets, is 
{finpe je mirli} true of things that are one or the other (or both-- sure, 
sure!).

<1. Would you say that {lo finpe .e lo mirli cu finpe je mirli}?>

Factually? No. I'd say {no da finpe je mirli} To be sure, if anythiing 
were in this set, it would be a fish and a deer.

<2a. If so, since .e is rather well defined, would you then accept that
{lo finpe cu finpe je mirli}?>

Yes, IF. This is NOT the white horse problem. But, in fact no.

<2b. If not, what does {lo finpe je mirli} refer to?>
Some member(s) of the set of things that are simultaneously both fish and 
deer. But there aren't any, so it is a falsifying expression (makes atomic 
sentences in which it occurs false, or drives the conversation into another 
--very strange -- world.