Subject: Re: [lojban] tautologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 04:29:42 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2002 12:41:59 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Ah, but there is a rule/requirement: the expression "I buy it no matter
> the cost" implies a "usual" rule that we buy things when the price is
> good, and that this particular purchase is an exception to that normal
> rule. I'm mentioning the rule explicitly rather than by implication.
> 

Then shouldn't this be {ja'inai}? The exception to a rule is not a rule, as 
a rule.

<It is usually translated as "there exists",
but that doesn't mean it actually expresses existence as such. >

Well, in the world under discussion it does.

<. But
I think you're right that there should be a better way to express
indifference about the amount itself, although I can't think of it
offhand ({ni jdima .oicu'i} doesn't seem quite right either).>

This is the problem that got this particular fiber ot this thread off, so at 
the moment nobody knows how to say it with any certainty.