Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:11:04 -0700

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:04:49 EST, [email-masked] wrote:

I wrote:
>>{lo mirli cu finpe je mirli} is similarly weird because while {lo mirli
>>cu mirli} is true, one would wonder why "finpe" was mentioned at all if
>>we weren't using the "je" to claim {lo mirli .a lo se mirli ga finpe gi
>>se finpe}. Either it's false or we've inserted "finpe" with contrary
>>clues to what its sumti are.>

>Well, the conclusion is right here, but I am not so sure about the reasoning. 
>What do the species or breed or whatevver of deer and fish have to do with 
>the case?

I finally thought of an example that might clarify things a bit more.
If {mi ti poi xunre cu klama}, am I a possible referent of {lo xunre je
klama}? I'm easily {lo xunre klama}, but is {ti xunre gi'e se klama mi}
enough to claim {mi ti xunre je klama}? Of at least one of the given
sumti {xunre} is true at the same time {klama} is true for all of them,
so two true claims are made of the given sumti with the two given
selbri, if the choice of sumti for {xunre} is ambiguous.

That ambiguity could lead to things like {mi tu berti je klama do}
having as a possible interpretation, "I am going to that yonder from
you, that yonder being north", and that may be a little too ambiguous,
but it makes jeks more useful than forcing that to mean "I am going to
that yonder from you and I am north of something."

So there's some actually useful and not necessarily false examples. :)

-- 
EWC