Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:30:36 EST

In a message dated 2/14/2002 1:38:49 AM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Are these statements not nearly identical in meaning? (aside from the
> special rule for observatives)
> 
> 1. ta melbi je nixli ckule
> 2. ta ckule co melbi je nixli
> 3. melbi je nixli co ckule befa ta
> 

Yes, but do you need {co} in the third one?

<If they are, then I don't think I should be rebuked too harshly for
arguing from the assumption that "That is a pretty school and also for
girls" was a valid interpretation of #1.>

Who was doing that? The problem was with {finpe je mirli} at the right end, 
modified rather than modifier. That makes a difference because it reduces 
the number of different ways it can be accounted for. Similarly, {ta melba 
je nixli} seems pretty much limited to the intersection of beauties and 
girls, not, for example, beautiful things for girls (though that could be 
{nelxi melba}).

<There was a half-page saying
that many different interpretations were possible, after all. I took
that to a logical conclusion, I think, not relying on English intuition.
Arguing from a false assumption can get you anywhere. :)>

Alas, too true, as "Lojban experts" demonstrate almost daily. The best logic 
in the world, proceeding without checking the facts along the way, will end 
up in cloud-cuckoo-land.