Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: EWC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:06:07 -0700

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:30:36 EST, [email-masked] wrote:
>In a message dated 2/14/2002 1:38:49 AM Central Standard Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
>> Are these statements not nearly identical in meaning? (aside from the
>> special rule for observatives)
>> 
>> 1. ta melbi je nixli ckule
>> 2. ta ckule co melbi je nixli
>> 3. melbi je nixli co ckule befa ta

>Yes, but do you need {co} in the third one?

Yes and no. Removing the "co" without reordering the tanru is just the
first one again in observational form instead of:

4. ckule befa ta melbi je nixli

The sumti places of each selbri in a tanru still exist wherever the
selbri may appear in a text; the question was how sumti were assigned to
those places. The Book never explicitly defines the method for jeks
along with saying "this is how sumti are assigned to selbri connected by
jeks...".

So if "That is a school for beautiful things and also for girls" is an
interpretation of {ta melbi joi nixli ckule}, how *does* one achieve
"That is a beautiful school and also a girls' school" in the fewest
number of syllables?
{ta melbi ju'e nixli ckule}?

-- 
EWC