Subject: Re: [lojban] lo'e nanmu cu cliva lo'e patfu

From: Adam Raizen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:14:26 +0200

la pier. cusku di'e

> I wrote the following for Genesis 2:24:
> to .iseki'ubo lo'e nanmu cu cliva lo'e patfu .e lo'e mamta gi'e
snipa lo'e
> speni .ibo le remei cu binxo pa rectu toi
> Adam commented:
> @c I think that 'lo'e' should be avoided as it's not clear what it
means.
> @c At any rate the most canonical meaning doesn't work here. ('the
typical
> @c man will leave the typical father?') -- Adam
>
> I think {lo'e nanmu} is correct, as men typically get married, and
{lo} would
> claim only that at least one man gets married, whereas {le} would
mean that
> the author has in mind someone who gets married. {lo'e patfu} I'm
less sure
> of, as it's really lo patfu be lo'e nanmu, and I'm not sure whether
{le
> remei} should be {le'e remei} (since it's not talking about the
typical pair
> of anything, but only the typical man-woman pair) or {lo'e remei}.
And is
> {rectu} the right word here?

'lo'e' is the best of all the gadri that you mentioned, but I think
that the text is trying to make a more universal claim, more like 'ro
nanmu cu cliva le patfu be vo'a ...', though I'm not sure that the
full strength of 'ro' is meant. As for 'remei', it needs to refer to
'LO nanmu' and 'LO speni', which were only mentioned separately. A
pair can be a pair of typical things or archetypal things or whatever,
so I think that 'le remei' works, which in the context refers to the
previous referents.

'pa rectu' (or maybe 'rectu pamei') is what the text literally says.
If a less literal interpretation is wanted, I would choose 'xadni', I
think.

mu'o mi'e .adam.