Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: EWC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 23:58:27 -0700

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:01:17 EST, [email-masked] wrote:

>In a message dated 2/14/2002 5:03:39 PM Central Standard Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
>>{mi le zdani cu klama co ragve le rirxe le ckule}

>What 
>"across the river from the school going" might be is unclear: it is pretty 
>clearly not crossing the river. I would suppose that it means that my route 
>home is on the other side of the river from the school, but don't feel very 
>comfortable about taht. What did you intend?

If I am going to a place across the river opposite of the school, then I
am across the river opposite of the school type-of going. I may or may
not be crossing the river, I may be starting from somewhere across the
river opposite of the school, I may be going to somewhere across the
river opposite of the school, but my going is somehow related to
something across the river opposite of the school. Presumably the exact
relation between my going and something across the river opposite of the
school is understood in context.

If it is true that I am across the river from the school type-of going,
then it also true something exists across the river from the school,
otherwise I couldn't be related even ambiguously to it by across the
river from the school type-of going.

That's what I mean by a simple tanru claiming that the seltau and tertau
are true for some respective arguments. If the bridi containing the
tanru is true, then the tertau holds true for some arguments (given in
the bridi) and the seltau holds true for some arguments (left
unspecified unless made explicit). If {mi broda klama} is true, then
there must exist something that is broda for me to stand in an ambiguous
broda klama relation to.

-- 
EWC