Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [lojban-beginners] Non-logical AND in Tanru?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 09:53:43 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2002 11:03:43 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Well, if {no da broda} is true, what meaning could {mi broda klama}
> possibly have? If there weren't any real, imagined, or theoretical
> things that were broda, what meaning would broda have? And then what of
> {mi broda klama}?
> 

I confess I haven't really thought this through (as I said, this just hasn't 
been an issue generally -- thanks for raising it). I think it may depend on 
the nature of {broda} and the relation to {klama}. If {broda} is adverbial, 
then the thing that is {broda} is probably something like {le nu klama}, and 
so on. When I wrote that before, I think I had such cases in mind. But the 
ones I was mainly focusing on were ones like {cmalu xanto} where the object 
that is the {cmalu} cannot be isolated from the {xanto}, without problems; 
that is, the broda does have its places filled implicitly but not in 
isolation. I took the isolation claim to be the likely next step in your 
reasoning and wanted to stop it beforehand.