Subject: Re: [lojban] Subjunctives and worlds

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:50:23 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2002 4:53:58 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Yes, {mu'ei} suggests "possibilities" the same way that {roi}
> suggests "occasions", but determining exactly what an occasion
> is would be about as hard as determining a possibility.
> 

I assume they are all at least events, which is a class we are stuck with in 
any case (remember that all events exist even if they do not hold). I assume 
that {mu'ei} as a tag takes {le nu}. In any case, this is getting away from 
being about possible worlds to being about conditions, which seems the right 
way to go.

<To me {ba} does not
suggest a multiplicity of futures but only the one that gets
realized, so I could never get to an alternate present using
{puba}.>

Yes, people differ on that a lot: some see it one way, some the other, and 
some somewhere in between as a totally deterministic system (time might 
branch but doesn't). The branching is built into SAE, but can be resisted 
locally.