Subject: Re: [lojban] Green chili and ginseng

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 09:33:37 EST

In a message dated 2/16/2002 9:33:58 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I thought that green peppers are Capsicum frutescens, while green chilis are 
> 
> C. annuum, as are the jalapeños and habaneros (which I called {xabnero 
> kapsiku} in the recipe). Does it make sense to call bell peppers {kapsiku 
> be 
> la janbe}?
> 
Some chilis belong to C. frutescens and some rather mild forms to C. annum -- 
indeed there are arguments about where to put most peppers since the damned 
things interfertilize like crazy. But the Bell strain was named for Dr. Bell, 
not for bells (as in shape?).

<> <Is it OK to call ginseng {remgenja}? I just saw a book about it at the
> library which gave the name in some Native American language, and it means
> about the same thing.>
>
> Ditto, mutatis mutandis. The nut-and-berry merchants like to distinguish
> Korean, Siberian and New York (etc.) ginseng and there may be minor
> specific variations.

I don't know what you mean by "ditto", since I'm asking a different kind of 
question. American ginseng is Panax quinquefolium, Korean is P. ginseng, and 
Siberian is Eleutherococcus senticoccus. But I'm asking whether {remgenja} is 

an appropriate word for them, not how to call the different species.>

Sorry I misread the question. If you are doing taxonomical stuff, then the 
{remgenja} would be inappropriate, but I gather you are doing the more 
Lojbanic thing of dealing with common plants and the like. In that case, 
since they are treated as essentially the same and their chief ingredients 
are the same, I use one general word for them all (but would resist throwing 
in the vrious mandrakes).