Subject: Re: [lojban] [even further OT]Argumentum ad elephantum

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:03:09 -0800

On Wednesday 13 February 2002 11:49, [email-masked] wrote:
> In a message dated 2/13/2002 4:51:15 AM Central Standard Time,
>
> [email-masked] writes:
> > He too
> > did not claim to know the full truth about the elephant, or
> > truth.
> >
> > Nor did Shakyamuni Buddha, the originator of this parable.
>
> Siddhartha Gautama's claim to having originated this story does not
> go unchallenged. Since it fits in so well with Jaina theory
> (syadvada, saptibhangi), the claim of Mahavira is probably better.

I very much doubt that either of them invented the story. Shakyamuni 
Buddha definitely originated his parable based on it, regardless of 
any others who may have done likewise. There is a similar modern 
case. I know of four 19th century humorists who are confidently cited 
in various sources as the originator of the saying, "It isn't what 
you don't know that hurts you, it's what you know that ain't so."

I don't see how one can claim to argue historic facts on the basis of 
subtleties of religious doctrine. The story fits perfectly with some 
forms of Buddhist, Jain, Hindu, Christian, Muslim, Taoist and other 
theories, and is emphatically rejected by other versions of each of 
these religions. 
-- 
Edward Cherlin
[email-masked]
Does your Web site work?