Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [jboske] RE: Anything but tautologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:15:01 EST

In a message dated 2/18/2002 8:30:17 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > Only if we can agree how to say "\x.x*2" You seem not to like {le du'u 
> makau 
> > pilji ce'u li re} What is your choice?
> 
> I have two problems here: first of all, a 2-relation should be
> "le ka ce'u ... ce'u", in this case "le ka ce'u pilji ce'u li re".
> In English: the mapping between numbers and their doubles.
> I agree that "du'u" will work as an alternative to "ka" here,
> since we have explicit ce'us (the difference being that "du'u"
> defaults to 0 ce'us, and ka to 1). But I see no reason to use makau

{makau} is used to distinguish the value -- the output-- from the argument 
(input). What you have written is a propositional function, whose output is 
either a claim or a truth value for each pair of values submitted. I see we 
have to go throuhg the whole {ka}-{du'u} bit again to sort that out, since 
there seem to be at least three versions still floating around.

<Secondly, the referent of one of these sumti is the function, not
the rule of the function, so it goes in fancu1, not fancu4. The
fact that it specifies the function by rule is neither here nor
there: I don't know how to write bau la lojban. the fancu4 for the factorial
(or gamma) function, but I know there is such a rule, so
"le ve fancu la faktorial." would be a way to designate the rule.>

I am at a loss to figure out what a rule for a function is other than either 
a program or some other form of specifying how to compute the value in terms 
of more basic functions. But these turn out to be just other expressions of 
the same function. We can make that a text if need be, but I don't see the 
need for the complication in an already complex item. {le ve fancu be fo la 
faktorial).

<Fancu4 is an *expression* (that is, a text or textoid).
I don't know how to say "\x.x*2" as a text, primarily because
I don't know how to MEX the dot.>

Must fancu4 be MEX and in lambda form? and is MEX always text and never 
actual functions?