Subject: Re: [lojban] Constant-valued functions

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 03:04:48 -0800

On Monday 18 February 2002 14:35, Invent Yourself wrote:
> But ma'o li 1 is a function, isn't it?

No, it's an expression. A fancu has a domain and range, although 
there are other ways of making a function based on a particular 
expression. For example, specifying an argument variable is 
sufficient in some systems. You are looking for something like

le fancu be lo'i namcu be'i lo'i li pa be'i ma'o li pa [be'o]
The function [domain} set-of numbers [range] set-of (number 1) 
[expression] expression (number 1)

>> In set theory, functions are defined as sets of ordered pairs,
>> usually with the first element from the domain set, and no two 
>> pairs having the same first element. This does not provide for
>> niladic functions.
>What if all the points of D map onto only one point of R?

That's exactly what happens here. This is a function of one argument 
that maps all numbers to the number 1. A function of 0 arguments does 
not have a domain. This is different from the case of a function with 
one argument but an empty domain.
-- 
Edward Cherlin
[email-masked]
Does your Web site work?