Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [jboske] RE: Anything but tautologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:50:48 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2002 2:07:13 PM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> >{1} =df {0'}
> >0' = 0' (by reflexivity of identity)
> >1 = 0' (by definitional replacement).
> 
> How does the first line go into Lojban?
> Is it: {ca'e li pa du li no y'ybu}? Something
> else?
> 

Somewhat hard to say, since, as you note, nobody knows just how MEX works and 
this, as a point about the language of mthematics, would naturally go into 
MEX. It certainly would not be your suggestions, since that makes no sense, 
being about a couple of numbers (and so not definable) and a letter (not 
obviously related to anything at all). Maybe {ce'a pabu cu basti nobu ce'o 
y'ybu}

<Edward Cherlin:
>The inverse of the logarithm function ku cu fancu domain-the-reals
>range-the-positive-reals ma'o e^x
>(where x is a bound variable representing the argument).

That's the Cowan place structure, yes. One problem is that
nobody quite knows how to put "ma'o e^x (where x is a
bound variable representing the argument)" into Lojban.
And if this is just a text then there is a second problem,
because it is not the text but the meaning of that text
that is of interest here.>

This is not obvious, it depends upon what the purpose of the sentence is. 
Cherlin wants it to be a definition, and thus it is exactly text that is 
wanted, needed, possible.