Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: [jboske] RE: Anything but tautologies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 09:29:13 EST

In a message dated 3/1/2002 8:31:48 PM Central Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> The meaning of "abu" outside MEX is distinct from its meaning inside
> MEX: they are bound separately and referenced separately.
> 

And how do we tell which is which? If {vei ny le mlatu} means "n cats" why 
doesn't {ny le mlatu} mean "n the cats" with "n" standing standing for some 
number rather than Nelly?

<I don't see how, except for the use of quotes around "n" in the
literal translation, which is intended not to create a quotation,
but just for readability, as in "Mind your 'p's and 'q's"
(which is not about letters, whatever it does mean).>

Not reaassuring, since "I don't see what's wrong" might very well be true. 
Quotes don't make for readability -- some folk use them for emphasis (to 
other folks great hilarity as they read them as scare quotes). What you have 
said is that the letter en is a value and so. BTW "Mind your 'p's and 'q's" 
is exactly about letters: the two are easily confused in many people's 
handwriting and when use to keep tally of one's drinking of a day, errors -- 
mistaking quarts for pints -- can be of considerable consequence. So, pay 
attention to details.

<I don't see any use-mention problem here either.>

Same one.