Subject: Re: [lojban] go'i: repeated referents or just sumti?

From: EWC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:09:39 -0700

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:41:05 -0500 (EST), John Cowan <[email-masked]>
wrote:
>> >Actually, the cardinality is part of the description. Last paragraph of
>> >page 131:
>> >
>> > Note that the inner quantifier of "le", even when exact, need not be
>> > truthful: "le ci nanmu" means "what I describe as three men", not
>> > "three of what I describe as men".

>Even though the inner quantifier is within the LE...ku, I think it's
>always veridical.

Always veridical but not necessarily truthful? :)

>Of course, what counts as three of some kinds of
>things may be somewhat subjective.

The next sentence of that paragraph is:

This follows from the rule that what is described by a "le" 
description represents the speaker's viewpoint rather than the 
objective way things are.

-- 
EWC