Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Quantifiers, Esistential Import, etc.

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 18:29:12

la pycyn cusku di'e

>Type: Normal Lojban : English
>A+ : ro broda cu brode: Every S is P
>A- : ro da poi broda cu brode : Any S is P
>E+: no broda cu brode: None of the S is P
>E- : no da poi broda cu brode: No S is P
>I+ : lo broda cu brode: Some S is P
>I- : da poi broda cu brode: Some S -- if there are any -- is P
>O+ : lo broda cu naku brode: Some S is not P/ Not all S is P
>O- : da poi broda cu naku brode: Not every S is P/ Some S -- if there are 
>any
>-- is P

Thanks, I see that you've gone back to {da poi broda cu brode}
for I-. This does have regularity, but it makes transformations
complicated. For example, {naku ro broda} goes to
{su'o da poi broda naku} instead of just {su'o broda naku},
and so on.

In any case, it is as much "against the Book" as my version.
The Book has {ro da poi broda cu brode} for A+ (pg 399), which
goes against both our systems, and it allows all the transformations
that my system allows (section starting on page 405). It also says
explicitly that {su'o da poi verba naku klama su'o de poi ckule}
is identical in meaning to {su'o verba naku klama su'o ckule},
which is what my system allows, but not yours.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com