Subject: Re: [lojban] More about quantifiers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:43:38 EST

In a message dated 3/11/2002 6:42:14 AM Central Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > Traditionally, "All swans are white" (used by Aristotle, but now known
> > to be empirically false) was read as having existential import, as
> > you say.
> 
> .i 1mai ganai roda nebdatka gi da blabi
> .i 2mai ro nebdatka cu blabi
> 

To be on the safe side, {roda zo'u ganai da nebdatka gi da blabi} (the 
quantifier inside the conditional but with scope over the whole leads 
sometimes to unexpected results). The first is, I think, universally agreed 
to be non-importing. The second is also, according to xorxes, is importing 
according to me (and, I would say, Lojban generally). 

<.i .eipe'i de jajgau ro terpli be zo ro .e zo da .e zo ga .e zo'e be'o .e le 

xelfanva pa papri>

That might be handy, but would not cast a lot of light here. For one thing, 
most cases would be indeterminate as to whether import was intended or not.