Subject: LogFest 2001: How are we doing?

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:07:15 -0800

I found myself curious as to what had happened to the various things
discussed at last year's LogFest. So, here are the relevant bits (IMO,
of course).

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:54:17PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language Group wrote:
> LogFest 2002 has had a preliminary date set for the last weekend of
> July in 2002 - no one actually looked up the date, which we intend to
> confirm before the end of the year

.u'iru'e

> Total attendance at LogFest was a little smaller this year than last
> year, with Robin Powell the only person who had never attended before.

And I'll be coming again this year. In fact, I'm wrapping my whole
summer vacation around it, as I did last year. Please, join us!

> As I've noted already, the high point was xod's successful display of
> Lojban's capabilities by participating in the entire LogFest weekend
> speaking only Lojban.

While I will not take that vow, I currently have command of more than
25% of the combined gismu and cmavo vocabulary, and hope to have it
(much) higher by the time logfest comes around. I've had at least one
more-or-less full-speed verbal conversation in lojban on the SpeakFreely
server. So hopefully I'll be able to participate in serious lojban
conversations at LogFest.

> Much attention was given to Nick's books and other net based activity,
> although highest priority was set on making current our snail mailing
> list data base, and resuming communications with Lojbanists who are
> not in contact with us through Lojban List, many of whom may not be on
> the net at all. Resuming publication of our newsletter and journal
> should follow shortly thereafter.

Did any of this happen?

> A plan now exists to start documenting discussions of issues on the
> net in a more formal fashion, and recording these on the web. The
> concept is based on pc's "RECORD" messages of prior years, but will be
> more formalized, and have content similar to what John Cowan used in
> documenting change proposals to the grammar before baselining. Issues
> will be resolved using the baseline language where possible, but when
> appropriate, changes which might be considered if the baseline freeze
> ended, including experimental cmavo, will be listed in a separate
> section (without approval). RECORDS would probably be published in
> Ju'i Lobypli if appropriate.

Did any of this happen?

> There will be an Lojban announcements-only mailing list for people who
> don't find time to read the full list traffic and therefore miss
> messages. We will try to have Lojban List subscribed as a list to
> this new list, so that announcements go automatically to list members
> without you having to sign up twice. But if you don't read most of
> Lojban List and want to make sure you see the announcements, you might
> subscribe separately when it is set up.

Done, don't know if it got much use.

> Robin Powell will also be setting up a mailing list for voting members
> of LLG who are online, separate from other lists, so that members can
> communicate on organizational issues without having to have me as a
> bottleneck.

Done, it didn't get much use.

> lojban.org will be moved to Robin's machine where we will have more
> space, and will eliminate the high cost of our current web hosting.

Which, btw, was ~$80/month. This has been done.

> Robin being more capable at this sort of thing than I am, will also be
> working on improvements to the main web site, and ideas and requests
> for such improvements are now in order for discussion on Lojban List.

I haven't done as much of this as I would like, but that's partly due to
almost exactly 0 suggestions (not counting 'please fix this broken link'
mails).

> lojban.com has also been purchased and donated to us, and will be
> linked to the main web page. 

Not until I get word back from the person who donated it, or find some
other way to get it transferred.

> One thing that will definitely be added is a page supporting efforts
> at having Lojban adopted as an inter-language for the European patent
> system, which support has been approved at two annual meetings but
> never publicized.

Did anything happen at this?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/