Subject: Re: [lojban] lojban application in wearable computing

From: Rob Speer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:13:11 -0500

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:38:07PM -0800, Ted Reed wrote:
> > Exactly. lojban doesn't use bracketing to define precedence, in
> > general. It has a series of sentences which are syntactically
> > unrelated.
> >
> > -Robin
> 
> But the presence of elidable terminators does strike a resemblance to using 
> brackets for things that are more than one word. (Or parenthesis in the case 
> of scheme.)

The presence of elidable terminators strikes a resemblance to
parentheses as they are used in _any_ language. The structure of
Lisp/Scheme doesn't seem to line up with the structure of Lojban,
though, except possibly in the predicates - and there you'd have to
munge the grammar around a lot. For example, though this is an issue
with many programming models, few Lisp functions have a "subject", while
basically all Lojban bridi do, so what do you do with the x1 places?

This gives me the impression that perhaps something like Smalltalk with
different syntax would be a good model, because if everything is
object-oriented, you can command the objects themselves to do stuff.
{doi xy ko zenba fi li pa}.

I wish I knew something about what Prolog was.
-- 
la rab.spir
noi pilno la paitan