Subject: Re: [lojban] LogFest 2001: How are we doing?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:32:42 -0500

At 05:07 PM 3/12/02 -0800, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:54:17PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier-Logical Language 
>Group wrote:
> > LogFest 2002 has had a preliminary date set for the last weekend of
> > July in 2002 - no one actually looked up the date, which we intend to
> > confirm before the end of the year
>
>.u'iru'e

That is still the preferred date, but no one of the regulars who travels 
from afar had actually confirmed their ability to attend that weekend 
(Robin's posting counts as the first confirmation).

> > Much attention was given to Nick's books and other net based activity,
> > although highest priority was set on making current our snail mailing
> > list data base, and resuming communications with Lojbanists who are
> > not in contact with us through Lojban List, many of whom may not be on
> > the net at all. Resuming publication of our newsletter and journal
> > should follow shortly thereafter.
>
>Did any of this happen?

No work has been done on the data base maintenance, though I am a little 
closer to having the other LLG business paperwork cleared out of the way to 
start. We instead put all our efforts into Nick's book up until his 
departure from the US (and shortly thereafter). Nick has a knack for 
getting people to support whatever he is working on, since he is SO productive.

> > A plan now exists to start documenting discussions of issues on the
> > net in a more formal fashion, and recording these on the web. The
> > concept is based on pc's "RECORD" messages of prior years, but will be
> > more formalized, and have content similar to what John Cowan used in
> > documenting change proposals to the grammar before baselining. Issues
> > will be resolved using the baseline language where possible, but when
> > appropriate, changes which might be considered if the baseline freeze
> > ended, including experimental cmavo, will be listed in a separate
> > section (without approval). RECORDS would probably be published in
> > Ju'i Lobypli if appropriate.
>
>Did any of this happen?

pc was willing to do this, but IIRC, it was shortly after LogFest that the 
more theoretical discussions kinda split the community into two camps so 
that relatively little was settled that warranted a RECORD. The recent 
discussion seems to be following that pattern, as PC's attempts to 
summarize what little is agreed upon in the discussion on quantifiers seem 
to generate more messages in discussion every time.

Cowan was working on something he calls the Elephant for a few months, but 
he disappeared on this subject after school started (both he and I tend to 
get caught up in kid-school management problems, so that our Lojban time 
dwindles during the school year). He would need to report current status.

A lot of discussion of this sort gets recorded informally in the wiki, but 
finding it can be problematic. The pages are getting numerous enough to 
warrant some sort of "best areas of the wiki" for certain information, like 
summaries of people, issues, translations. These summary pages could be on 
the wiki, or on the lojban.org pages as references under each page 
topic. (in other words, on each page, add a few wiki references at the 
bottom as indications of places to go for more information).

> > There will be an Lojban announcements-only mailing list for people who
> > don't find time to read the full list traffic and therefore miss
> > messages. We will try to have Lojban List subscribed as a list to
> > this new list, so that announcements go automatically to list members
> > without you having to sign up twice. But if you don't read most of
> > Lojban List and want to make sure you see the announcements, you might
> > subscribe separately when it is set up.
>
>Done, don't know if it got much use.

There has as of yet been no announcements from me, since I haven't had 
anything to announce %^). I have no idea if anyone is signed up to the 
announcements list as opposed to the main list. On whatever page where you 
discuss the various mailing lists (there should be such a page), I would 
suggest saying what each is for and giving the appropriate address to sign 
up. Then people might sign up for the list.

> > Robin Powell will also be setting up a mailing list for voting members
> > of LLG who are online, separate from other lists, so that members can
> > communicate on organizational issues without having to have me as a
> > bottleneck.
>
>Done, it didn't get much use.

I use it to send messages that I want members to see - hopefully members 
who have low attention levels for Lojban do not merely filter these in with 
regular Lojban List stuff.

> > lojban.org will be moved to Robin's machine where we will have more
> > space, and will eliminate the high cost of our current web hosting.
>
>Which, btw, was ~$80/month. This has been done.

The site-moving has been done. I have not yet moved the account from CAIS, 
which will actually save us the money. But that is what I am going to do next.

> > One thing that will definitely be added is a page supporting efforts
> > at having Lojban adopted as an inter-language for the European patent
> > system, which support has been approved at two annual meetings but
> > never publicized.
>
>Did anything happen at this?

I think that was given to you %^) (since it talks about adding a page, 
which is your bailiwick).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org