Subject: Re: [lojban] openprojects IRC whining.

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:31:51 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> So, people are *still* bitching about using the openprojects.org 'net
> for IRC, even though
>
> 1) Using lojban.org for lojban IRC makes more sense.
> 2) openprojects.org splits several times a day.

I'll repeat this again, just in case I've accidentally been speaking
Swahili the last few times:

1) lojban.org is a name. When you have control of the DNS, you could setup
your own round robin for irc.lojban.org which pointed it to either a
single OpenProjects server, (I can't recall one ever going down without
significant warning, and for a good reason.) or to a small collection
of servers which are usually topologically close. (I'll develop
software which can update that list every half an hour or so, if you'd
like, to guarntee that they're close. I'll even start collecting
statistics about average distance between servers.)
2) A single server can't split from itself. If all Lojban users agreed to
normally use a single OpenProjects server, (which they wouldn't even
have to know they were doing if they were just told to use
irc.lojban.org when it pointed to a specific server) splitting would
become mostly irrelevent, and then other OpenProjects users could still
pop in from time to time, and Lojbanists could participate in other
channels more convinently.

I used the above described technique for quite a long time on Undernet
(which splits more than OpenProjects) with a much larger group of people,
and was quite successful.

Absolutely everyone will be getting what they want, and you won't have to
deal with IRC server maintence, etc. If/when something happens to an
OpenProjects server, they've got a huge team of people who work prompt to
fix it, whereas presumably, you leave your house occasionally. :)

> So, here's my offer:
>
> If someone is willing to do the work to allow me to be connected as a
> (secondary) server to openprojects, I'll deal with the bandwidth sucking
> that will cause.

As the OpenProjects people state on their web page, they do accept new
servers, but the minimum requirements are in the neighborhood of 45Mbps of
multihomed bandwidth. I don't think your DSL quite counts. ;)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose