Subject: RE: [lojban] lojban.org transfer, reprise.

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:32:58 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Craig wrote:

> >> >Also, at that point we *could* move the mailing lists off of yahoo, and
> >> >hence get rid of the advertising. But I have a feeling people don't
> >> >want to do that, due to the public exposure (which I still say is
> >> >nebulous, at best).
> >>
> >> There's also some (mistaken, IMVHO) feeling that it is easier to use
> yahoo.
> >> If this were demonstrably true, I would support the continued use of
> yahoo
> >> just so as not to turn off non-geeks any more than we already do.
>
> >I wasn't aware there were politically correct alternatives that support
> >the same feature set as does Yahoo groups.
>
> A. What would make an alternative politically incorrect?

There is a school of thought that frowns upon anything that's commercial
or corporate. Open Source is Good, Starbucks is Bad. You know what I'm
talking about.

> B. When was the last time this group used a poll, or images, or any other
> feature other than mailing?

There are files in the section, and we have a huge bank of archives that
are nicely searchable. Of course, all this could be recreated with PHP,
perl, and ignored bug reports rotting on ignored sourceforge forums, but
Lojban people are notorious for complaining how they have no time for
anything, so why not avail our lazy selves of these features that are
already there? And if we have time to burn then spend it creating new
things rather than redoing what's already been done, and then
inconveniencing all of us to switch over to a solution that's identical at
best.

On the other hand, an alternative would almost surely include a sane reply
policy for mailing list responses.

-- 
Somewhere in America there is an idiot whining about the fact that he has to
learn to cursor around the menu system on his VCR, while an 8 year old is
installing FreeBSD in his free time.