Subject: Re: [lojban] lojban.org transfer, reprise.

From: Robin Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 02:10:26 +0200

On Friday 15 March 2002 01:32, Invent Yourself wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Craig wrote:
> > >> >Also, at that point we *could* move the mailing lists off of yahoo,
> > >> > and hence get rid of the advertising. But I have a feeling people
> > >> > don't want to do that, due to the public exposure (which I still say
> > >> > is nebulous, at best).
> > >>
> > >> There's also some (mistaken, IMVHO) feeling that it is easier to use
> >
> > yahoo.
> >
> > >> If this were demonstrably true, I would support the continued use of
> >
> > yahoo
> >
> > >> just so as not to turn off non-geeks any more than we already do.
> > >
> > >I wasn't aware there were politically correct alternatives that support
> > >the same feature set as does Yahoo groups.
> >
> > A. What would make an alternative politically incorrect?
>
> There is a school of thought that frowns upon anything that's commercial
> or corporate. Open Source is Good, Starbucks is Bad. You know what I'm
> talking about.

I think there were other issues with Yahoo, but they may have been resolved 
now. I moved my site from Geocities when Yahoo bought it, because they 
introduced a EULA worthy of Microsoft (it basically gave Yahoo copyright of 
any web pages they hosted). Yahoo backtracked considerably and AFAIK this is 
now a non-issue (I didn't return, because my current provider, Spaceports, 
have a good no nonsense deal with unlimited space, no frills and reliable 
servers - they have intrusive framed ads, but that's still better than 
popups).
>
> > B. When was the last time this group used a poll, or images, or any other
> > feature other than mailing?

Good point. KISS.

> Lojban people are notorious for complaining how they have no time for
> anything, 

Mea culpa. It seems the kind of people who are interested in Lojban are also 
interested in a lot of other things, which often take priority. I'm a good 
example - I have a passable theoretical knowledge of the language (hell, I 
co-wrote a textbook!) but I still can't be bothered to learn the vocabulary.

I think this list could do what it it does on almost any setup. As for 
visibility, we have a number of good websites.

robin.tr