Subject: Re: [lojban] openprojects IRC whining.

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:10:32 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> You know, all of the above may be true, but last I checked the community
> in general agreed to use my server. Your statements to the contrary are
> not helping anything.

Please, there wasn't community agreement. I recall you asking about where
it ought to be, and then the following message came through about 2 to 3
weeks later:

"In the wake of a deafening lack of comment, I am declaring lojban.org
the official IRC server of the lojban community."

I responded to that, saying that the issue had been discussed in the past,
and I didn't care to beat a dead horse further. I then posted some URLs
for people to find IRC clients.

This is the first time I've said anything to the contrary since it became
"official". I'm not trying to make things difficult, but I see you calling
it "whining" when OpenProjects has got people on it, and you've got xod,
and I'm compelled to at least attempt to set the record straight.

If you want the community's opinion, look at the users. There are
consistently more people on OpenProject's #lojban than yours.

...
*S* Highest connection count: 4 (4 clients)
*M* chain.digitalkingdom.org Message of the Day -
...

OpenProjects:

*#* Users on #lojban: trans comatoast Taliesin zirpu xena deltab jewel
surak tsali

> I *still* think that having it on a public servernet doesn't help; AFAIK
> *no-one* has come to lojban through accidently seeing the channel on
> openprojects, unless they had previously heard of the language before.

You've not been on there is quite a long time. I distinctly recall
greeting more than a handful of people who have stumbled in there,
recognizing only the name, and coming to see if it was the language, if
people in there spoke it, etc, etc.

The only difference between your proposal to try and link your IRC server
to OpenProjects, and just pointing a CNAME at a single OpenProjects server
is that you'd be (the only person) running it. You can stand around
screaming at us "It makes more sense to use my server!" all day, but
without some sort of justification, it isn't particularly convincing.

(Stating that those people who aren't using your service are "whining"
doesn't make switching particularly appealing, by the way.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose