Subject: Re: [lojban] openprojects IRC whining.

From: Robin Lee Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:04:19 -0800

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:10:32PM -0700, Jay Kominek wrote:
> 
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> 
> > You know, all of the above may be true, but last I checked the
> > community in general agreed to use my server. Your statements to
> > the contrary are not helping anything.
> 
> Please, there wasn't community agreement. I recall you asking about
> where it ought to be, and then the following message came through
> about 2 to 3 weeks later:
> 
> "In the wake of a deafening lack of comment, I am declaring lojban.org
> the official IRC server of the lojban community."

Then you should have responded, shouldn't you?

> This is the first time I've said anything to the contrary since it
> became "official". I'm not trying to make things difficult, but I see
> you calling it "whining" when OpenProjects has got people on it, and
> you've got xod, and I'm compelled to at least attempt to set the
> record straight.

Since there was no argument at the time, I had no idea until yesterday
that people were still using the openprojects net.

> If you want the community's opinion, look at the users. There are
> consistently more people on OpenProject's #lojban than yours.

See above.

> > I *still* think that having it on a public servernet doesn't help;
> > AFAIK *no-one* has come to lojban through accidently seeing the
> > channel on openprojects, unless they had previously heard of the
> > language before.
> 
> You've not been on there is quite a long time. 

Note that the last time I was on, there was no-one else but me on for
almost a week.

> I distinctly recall greeting more than a handful of people who have
> stumbled in there, recognizing only the name, and coming to see if it
> was the language, if people in there spoke it, etc, etc.

<nod>

> The only difference between your proposal to try and link your IRC
> server to OpenProjects, and just pointing a CNAME at a single
> OpenProjects server 

Which I've already agreed to do, just to make this argument go away.

> is that you'd be (the only person) running it. You can stand around
> screaming at us "It makes more sense to use my server!" all day, but
> without some sort of justification, it isn't particularly convincing.

Uhhh, you mean besides the netsplits, the constant operator messages,
and the silent netsplits such that people *look* like they are there but
never respond?

Am I talking to a wall?

-Robin

-- 
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/