Subject: RE: [lojban] lojban.org transfer, reprise.

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:12:35 -0000

Jay:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> 
> > > and we have a huge bank of archives that are nicely searchable.
> >
> > Trivially reproducable.
> 
> Just a heads up, mail archiving software sucks.
> Searching systems suck, too. The indexing and stuff for just the static
> content of the old list archive I've got, is hundreds of megabytes. (There
> are maybe 10 megabytes of emails or so?)
> 
> Your best bet on that count is to just get Google to index it, keep it on
> a virtual host, and then use Google to search it with the site:
> restriction. :)

I second that. Our archives are a valuable resource, but it is nigh
on impossible to search them satisfactorily. I have found Google to
be fractionally better, though searching for words with an apostrophe
is difficult. But certainly a properly searchable archive would be
an exceptionally worthwhile project for our many technical wizards
on this list. I don't intend these remarks to be a slight on the
facility Jay has already provided us with, which are a great
improvement on having no archives at all.

--And.