Subject: Re: [lojban] Logic course

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:28:49

la pycyn cusku di'e

[...{[li] xy du li mo'e da pi'i mo'e da}...]

>This puts the whole thing in the wrong category (in any vaguely usual sense
>of "operand", whereas the {me'o} at least was said to give a sumti where 
>one
>was required. But, it does give the right parse.

{pi'i} is the operator, {mo'e da} and {mo'e da} are the
operands. I'm not sure why this would put things in the wrong
category. But I wouldn't have the category 'operand' distinct
from the category 'sumti' to start with.

>{ro xy} is refused altogether;

{ro xy} is like {pano}.

>{roboi xy} is accepted as something, Lord knows what.
>But {ro ko'a} is OK, as is {ro ri}.

Those are {ro[boi] ko'a} and {ro[boi] ri}. The terminator
is elidable in these cases, but not in the case of {xy}.

>Apparently letterals are not pronouns in
>the same sense that {ko'a} and {ri} and {vo'a} are.

It is letteral strings, not just letterals, that are pronouns,
though the most commonly used are the single-letteral strings.
These strings have to be separated from one another and
from quantifiers with the termiantor {boi}.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com